Click on any of the icons for more details.
Memorial Bridge (in Thai Saphan Poot) is a great starting point to see several "off the beaten track" sights. Check out our walking tour of Chinatown for many of them. Here's a complete run-down of all the places within easy walking distance of the pier:
- Pak Klong Market
- Bangkok's biggest wet market and flower distribution center is right next to the pier.
- Pahurat Market
- The heart of "Little India" is a market mainly selling fabrics and wedding accessories.
- The Old Siam
- Quaint shopping center resembling a covered market.
- Sampang Lane
- Narrow alleyway lined with shops selling just about everything at the low end. Mostly clothes and cheap household items.
- Wat Prayoon
- Offbeat temple on the opposite side of the river. Noted for its huge pond teeming with turtles.
- Princess Mother Memorial Park
- This charming little park and museum is dedicated to the late Princess Mother, one of the most beloved people in modern Thailand.
- Kuan Ou Shrine
- On the river next to the Princess Mother Memorial Park is the old Kuan Ou Chinese shrine, which dates from the very early years of Bangkok.
- Wat Pichai Yathikaram
- You can see the towering prang of Wat Pichai Yathikaram from the river, but in fact the temple itself is a somewhat forgotten corner of old Bangkok and is worth a visit if you're checking out some of the other sights in this part of the city.
« Chaophraya Express Boat main page.