Staying fit and healthy while on the road can be a challenge. Granted, if you're on vacation you might be forgiven for giving the gym a miss. However, if you're on the road for business, you may want to find places to work off those business meals and airport junk food.
Bangkok Fitness Centers
There are a couple of international chains with a presence in Bangkok. Whether or not you can use these local branches may depend on the type of membership you have at home. Be sure to bring your member card and any other documentation you may need.
- California Wow
- The American-styled mega chain has a huge presence in Bangkok, with several branches that are easily accessible to visitors. Look for fitness centers on Silom Road, Siam Paragon and Sukhumvit Road.
- Fitness First
- The UK-based fitness chain has several branches in Bangkok. The center most accessible to Bangkok visitors is the branch in Landmark Plaza of the Landmark Hotel.
Bangkok Hotels with Fitness Centers
There are some hotels in Bangkok with amazingly well equiped fitness centers. With that in mind, it will come as no surprise that many of these gyms operate as independent fitness centers with local members. Here's a short list of hotels with better than average fitness centers:
- Pathumwan Princess
- The Olympic Club is just one of the reasons that the Pathumwan Princess is near the top of my list of hotels you should consider in Bangkok. The club has a huge number of aerobic and weight machines, free weights, two group exercise rooms, tennis courts, squash courts, basketball gym, reading room, and last but not least, one of Bangkok's few salt-water swimming pools.
- Banyan Tree
- Along with its trademark spa, the Banyan Tree's deluxe fitness center makes this urban high-rise resort a great option for those looking for a healthy getaway.
- JW Marriott
- The fitness center at the JW Marriott is one of the most well fitted out we've seen, with just about every Cybex weight machine you could want. On the same floor is the JW's spa, voted the best men's spa in Bangkok.
Bangkok Personal Trainers
Those of you who aren't traveling with your personal trainer can get some one-on-one help through Revolution Fitness. You choose the location of your workout. They are centrally located in Bangkok, Thailand and can meet you at a nearby park, fitness center or even your own home.
Bangkok Health Care Facilities
Here's a short list of hospitals that specialize in treating foreigners. They all have staff who speak English, as well as many other languages. All of the institutions below are based in Bangkok, although some have branches in other parts of the country.
- Bumrungrad International Hospital
- Perhaps the most advanced and internationalized of Thailand's private hospital. Coming here can seem like a visit to a five star hotel and the United Nations all in one. Although comparatively expensive for Thais, the hospital gets many foreign visitors in search of high quality health care at reasonable cost. The web site provides an overview of the hospital's services, and the ability to make appointments online.
- Bangkok General Hospital
- A good general medicine hospital. The web site is available in many languages. The main services for foreign visitors are cosmetic surgery. The hospital can arrange for a variety of treatments as part of your holiday.
- Samitivej Hospital
- Samitivej is one of Bangkok's most respected hospitals. Its main claim to fame is the "baby friendly" natal facilities. It's probably unlikely that you would want to travel to Thailand to have your baby, but the hospital has several other services to offer as well, including extensive children's healthcare departments.
- St. Carlos Hospital
- This small hospital has combined traditional medicine with a full fledged spa to provide a complete range of health and beauty treatments, from cosmetic surgery to detoxifying body treatments.
Medical Tourism Resources
- Cosmetic Surgery Travel
- Sort of a medical travel planner, providing a concierge type service to help you plan your trip to Bangkok for cosmetic surgery or other medical procedures. They can help you to plan your trip, select doctors and facilities, and schedule your appointments or procedures before you arrive.